[jboss-as7-dev] Changes to .jsp in an exploded deployment no longer picked up?

Jaikiran Pai jpai at redhat.com
Thu Apr 21 07:46:38 EDT 2011

One of the very useful features in previous JBoss AS versions was the
ability of the server to identify and pick up changes to a .jsp page in
an exploded deployment and serve the updated content on next request.
Trying this out in JBoss AS 7.0.0.Beta3, I see that this no longer works:

1) Create and deploy a test.war (along with a test.war.dodeploy) in the
standalone/deployments.
2) test.war contains a test.jsp with an intentional syntax error in it
3) Access the jsp via browser and see the (expected) compilation error.
Now open the test.jsp file in a text editor, from the exploded test.war
deployment, and edit it to fix the error
4) Access the jsp via browser again. Tried it more than once. I still
see the compilation failure i.e. the jsp changes aren't being picked up
anymore. I had to undeploy and redeploy the exploded deployment for the
changes to be picked up.

I remember that in previous versions of AS there were some parameters
for the jsp compiler/executor which by default enabled this check for
jsp changes. Has this changed in AS7? Where and what values are set
currently? Or has this got something to do with the way we handle
exploded deployment in AS7?

-Jaikiran