[jboss-as7-dev] Changes to .jsp in an exploded deployment no longer picked up?

denstar valliantster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 12:25:24 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Joel Tosi wrote:
> The eyes that we are getting on the betas - are they purely random
> developers or do we have any customers with their developers looking at it
> and how it affects their enterprise?
>
> I know StateFarm has been looking at AS7 from a deployment perspective and
> they really dig that, but I haven't heard much from their developers
> regarding AS7.  Do we have any customers helping drive AS7 and what are they
> saying?  If that is out in the community forums, my apologies for not seeing
> it.

I'm not a customer, per se, but I do use JBoss for a few of my
production deployments.

I'm loving AS7.  I'm a dev and an admin, and there's compelling stuff
going on in both those areas.

As far as the "default to development" or "default to production"
debate, I say (not that it matters) default to bare bones production,
and provide configs for various scenarios (similar to previous
releases, but with a bit more variety perhaps).

I'd rather have security out of the box, than comfort.

I'm not advocating no docs and hard to find configuration parameters,
by any means.  I just think putting things in a less-than-secure (and
slower) mode should be the onus of the developer/end user, vs. coming
that way out of the box.

I acknowledge that I'm probably in the minority here, but especially
with a release as blazingly fast as AS7 currently is, it'd be a shame
to hide that away by default.

What's the "image" for AS7?  Like, it's been pretty enterprise-y, but
it sounds like there's a move towards "Hey, it's for everybody!" type
of deal.

If I'm some random JEE guy, I'll probably be all like, "it's that much
faster, really?  I'm gonna drop my WAR (is that like, soo 2004? ;]) in
there and see!", but I dunno what the target demographic is.  People
new to JEE?, people new to AS7?, Developers?, Admins?, people X?  What
are the main targets with AS7?  "All of them" is swell, but hard to do
well.  =)

I applaud the effort at "all of 'em".  It is doable, IMHO.  But I *am*
an optimist (mostly).

:Denny

--
The word experience is like a shrapnel shell, and bursts into a
thousand meanings.