[jboss-as7-dev] JBAS-9373, need control of what interfaces/ports are bound to

Jonathan Halliday jonathan.halliday at redhat.com
Mon Apr 25 18:54:35 EDT 2011

IMO the domain model should not expose it as a config option, per my
comment on the JIRA.  Using different implementations concurrently on
the same host O/S is just as invalid as using different interfaces and
should remain impossible.

And yes, I've already explained to Scott:  'We do ship alternative
implementaitons of the process-id interface... None are as heavily
tested as the socket based one and none are as likely to work in all
environments: O/S, filesystem, JVM, etc. Therefore I consider it
debatable if any will actually be an overall improvement on the socket
based one'.

Just write a policy file that allows binding to the appropriate
interface. You don't need control over the interface used, just an
awareness of which one it is.

Jonathan.

> He's probably referring to the different implementations of the
> com.arjuna.ats.arjuna.utils.Process interface that can be used, where
> SocketProcessId is just a default. The domain configuration model should
> expose a mechanism (probably an attribute with an enumerated value) to
> select something else. But last I looked into this (pretty long ago),
> none of the other options were a good default choice. Jonathan, is that
> still the case?
>
> On 4/21/11 4:54 PM, Scott Stark wrote:
>> Yes, that is the impression I got from Jonathan. He says it is
>> configurable, or at least the implementation can be changed, but I don't
>> see how looking at the code associated with the stack trace in JBAS-9373.
>>
>> On 4/21/11 10:40 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>> Nope I misread and was wrong; the address is not configurable, it's hard
>>> coded:
>>>
>>> return new ServerSocket(port, 0, InetAddress.getByName(null));
>>>
>>> Which makes sense, the whole intent of that class is to ensure
>>> uniqueness on the machine and that's impossible if different processes
>>> use different addresses. Finding a better way to do this is a
>>> long-standing issue.

Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Charlie Peters (USA), Matt Parsons
(USA) and Brendan Lane (Ireland).