[jboss-as7-dev] Default values in the model

David Bosschaert david at redhat.com
Mon Aug 1 09:20:53 EDT 2011

On 01/08/2011 14:12, Jason T. Greene wrote:
> On 7/29/11 6:42 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:
>> Including the defaults. Going through additional hoops&  loops to figure
>> out the effective runtime configuration is counter productive
>> (curl,bash, etc) and will not be used.
>>
>> Further more, consumer do not care if the attribute derives from a
>> default value or not.
>> And why should they?
> They care if they specified or they did not.

I agree, people will want to see whether they specified a particular
value or not. But in either case they probably want to see what the
effective value is, so if the value isn't specified they will want to
see what the default is that is currently being used as long as it's
clear that this is the default. In past systems that I worked on this
was reflected in the GUI somehow by making the default appear grey and
have a 'default' icon beside it... How the GUI obtains that information
is an implementation detail.

Cheers,

David