[jboss-as7-dev] Management proposal for attribute mutability

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Tue Aug 2 17:22:53 EDT 2011

Currently we have way too many read only attributes in our management
model. This makes life harder for the management tools and/or makes the
resulting UI a bit unwieldy.

In some cases this is just because we haven't polished subsystem
management (PLEASE all subsystem authors look at this!). In other cases
though it's intentional because it is either difficult or currently
impossible to make hot changes to a particular attribute. This should be
exceedingly rare. Users love hot updates, and it's a competitive
advantage. So first we should strive to make it hot in the first place.

However in the case that the change is not hot, and a server reboot is
too aggressive, we should still supporting making the changes by
bouncing all services involved. After some debate on IRC we finally
arrived at what is IMO a really good option for this problem:

write-attribute (impact-services=true|false)

The operation handler on such a non-hot attribute would then return an
error if false (the default), but would continue and bounce everything
needed if the value is true. In addition we would add some simple
description metadata that would allow tools to handle it right away
instead of reacting to the error response.

For a practical example look at datasources. Due to limitations in JCA
we have to restart the resource adapter if the jdbc connection url
changes. While it should be possible to one day make this change hot, we
can for the time being still allow the user to type in a value. They
would however be prompted with some kind of dialogue that would confirm
the impact of this change.

--
Jason T. Greene