[jboss-as7-dev] transaction integration

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Wed Aug 10 08:51:33 EDT 2011

On 08/10/2011 07:43 AM, Jonathan Halliday wrote:

> I've recently created a bunch of JIRAs for the simpler bits of the
> transaction integration work. However, there are some design issues that
> need discussion before the work can be codified into JIRAs...
>
> First up, distributed transactions. By that I mean ones involving
> business logic in more that one JVM. The simpler case of 'distributed'
> in the multiple resource manager sense already more or less works.
>
> The transaction system can run in two modes - jta, which does not
> support transactions spanning multiple jvms, or jts, which does.
[...]
> Whilst the transaction control traffic always runs over CORBA, the
> business logic, typically EJB calls, may not.  As far as I can tell
> there is as yet no spec or documentation on what we intend to support
> here or how tx context propagation and inflow is intended to work.

Let's work one out.  I am currently looking into the EJB remote
invocation protocol right now.

> There is also the question of the extent to which we'll support tx use
> by external or legacy clients, be they Java or CORBA. i.e. client to
> server or server to older server, rather than between two AS7 instances.
>    The ClientUserTransaction proxy arrangement in the old AS pre-dated
> the jts integration and never worked cleanly with it. We need to come up
> with something better.
>
> Who is handling the requirements and design for this in AS7?

I will work with you on this; I have some idea of the requirements
already so between us we should be able to figure it out.  We also need
to make sure that JCA transaction inflow is considered in the resultant SPI.

--
- DML