[jboss-as7-dev] Revisited: Integration TestSuite Organization and Maintenance

Stuart Douglas stuart.w.douglas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 23:28:00 EDT 2011

On 12/08/2011, at 9:06 AM, Andrew Lee Rubinger wrote:

> Inline.
>
> On 08/11/2011 05:12 PM, Richard Achmatowicz wrote:
>> Andrew
>>
>> Can you give a simple, concrete example of a spec test case (citing part
>> of the J2EE spec, say), which illustrates:
>
> Hehe, my PoC is filled with 'em. :)  But keep in mind we're not directly
> necessarily citing the EE specs, because we're *not* building a TCK in AS7.
>
>> - what dependencies you want to be on the classpath, as well as those
>> you don't want to be only the classpath
>
> For this discussion, I'm primarily concerned with the *compilation*
> ClassPath, as this is the view users see when building their
> applications.  It's about explicitly defining what the AS7 API is.  So
> the deps for the compilation ClassPath should be as they are in by
> AS7-999 branch and as described in the last email:
>
> * spec - Java SE and Java EE
> * api - JBoss-specific extensions to "spec" which comprise our AS7 API
> * internals - Anything in the AS7 runtime

I am ok with splitting the tests up in this manner, but I think we will need additional test suite modules for purely technical reasons.

For instance, at the moment we also have compat for hibernate 3 testing, and timer service, to test the ejb timer service.

Compat is needed because maven cannot handle having multiple hibernate versions in the same module, and timer service
is separate because it needs the preview configuration, and need to run multiple times in order to test restoring persistent timers.

>> - what sample artifacts you would put in src/main and what you would put
>> in src/test
>
> * src/main - Stuff that is part of the deployment.  Anything that you'd
> be including in the @Deployment archive defined by an Arquillian-based
> test case.
> * src/test - The test infrastructure itself, like the JUnit test and
> other util/helpers

I am very much opposed to this split. IMHO splitting the test classes into two different places makes it much harder to read and write tests.

I also don't see how having additional test scoped dependencies on the class path is a problem, as in practice this works out to being Arquillian and JUnit.

Stuart

> [...]
>>>
>>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-999
>>>
>>> So:
>>>
>>> 1) TestSuite Organization
>>>
>>> I believe we need a single top-level categorization by which we may
>>> organize integration tests which are deployment-based and run within the
>>> context of the server.  Because we use Maven modules (which are bound to
>>> a dependency structure), it makes sense to file these modules by the
>>> compile-time dependencies they require.  So in place I've put:
>>>
>>> testsuite/spec - Java SE and Java EE APIs only
>>> testsuite/api - AS7 APIs + Spec
>>> testsuite/internals - Use anything in the AS7 runtime in your
>>> deployments; not guaranteed to be back-compat across releases
>>>
>>> The primary motivation here is to ensure that the dependencies we export
>>> (ie. "spec-api", and "api" modules) are complete enough for users to
>>> create their own deployments.  In this setup, we act as *users* of our
>>> own APIs, and everything in src/main is limited to the relevant
>>> dependencies.
>>>
>>> I know the source of some disagreements earlier centered around placing
>>> the tests right next to the deployments, and some folks consider the
>>> deployments as part of the test itself.  That's not a bad argument at
>>> all, but again consider that we then lose the ability to validate our
>>> tests in the context of our exported APIs.
>>>
>>> 2) Run Modes, Test Subsets
>>>
>>> Because the primary organizational criteria proposed in 1) is by
>>> dependency, these modules will grow large over time.  The AS build over
>>> time will take longer and longer to run.  Additionally, there are
>>> runtime options to consider when starting tests.  So consider the
>>> following requirements:
>>>
>>>     * Running the testsuite in IPv6
>>>     * Running only a subset of tests as part of the main build
>>>
>>> These lend themselves well to using build profiles.  By default, I think
>>> the "smoke tests" should simply be a set of tests we deem important or
>>> indicative of the general health of AS7 with respect to each subsystem.
>>>    As it stands now, "smoke" is its own module with a bunch of
>>> Embedded-based tests, and I think these should move to the
>>> organizational structure in 1) and instead we can apply some filtering
>>> to make the "smoke" some default set of includes.
>>>
>>> 3) An authoritative maintainer
>>>
>>> I'd like to treat the Arquillian and TestSuite modules as true
>>> subsystems of the Application Server, and as such we'll need someone to
>>> assume the responsibility to review incoming commits/pull requests and
>>> ensure they fit the criteria for acceptance.  Simple things like
>>> consistent package names, using ARQ correctly, and not leaking
>>> dependencies are very important.
>>>
>>> So assuming we come to agreement on these points, I'd like to request
>>> push access to the AS7 repo to field testsuite and ARQ-related pull
>>> requests.
>>>
>>> ...there's much more to discuss (I've more issues to raise alongside the
>>> upcoming EAP requirements), but let's start with those first 3 major

>>> ALR