[jboss-as7-dev] Revisited: Integration TestSuite Organization and Maintenance

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Tue Aug 16 13:12:53 EDT 2011

On 8/16/11 11:55 AM, Andrew Lee Rubinger wrote:
> On 08/16/2011 12:40 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

>>> No actually I didn't :) You do admit that the indirect process proposal
>>> has holes (e.g. it does not catch a leaked API)? Right?
>>
>> Basically my point is that the only way you get this pom correct is if
>> you have a human involved in creating the requirements/verfication list.
>> Tools can help with that, but hacking up the AS testsuite to verify it
>> indirectly is no substitute.
>
> Let me take a different tack.
>
> I proposed we organize the current testsuite by dependency. If we don't
> want to do that, what would we like to do?
>
> * Status Quo?
> * Some other organizational criteria?

The door is certainly open to ideas here. Probably the most useful
criteria is making it easy to run targeted areas of the testsuite.

> I've heard a lot of criticisms with the proposal, but not too much in
> the way of alternate solutions. So the concerns I'm putting forth here
> are not too important to others, or we're happy with the way things
> currently are?

I did propose one alternative to the api verification problem. The spec
API verification is perhaps the easiest:

1. Take javaee javadocs and grab a list of all packages (perhaps even
classes)
2. Write a testcase that verifies that spec-api is 100% equivalent to
the above list

Also the only argument I have seen is just around the split of src/test
and src/main and whether the benefits are worth the cost. Ultimately I
think the number 1 goal should be to make it easy to write tests so that
those writing them write lots more :)

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect