[jboss-as7-dev] Dear subsystem owners/components leads ....

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Fri Aug 19 12:22:48 EDT 2011

On 8/19/11 9:58 AM, Scott Marlow wrote:

<snip/>

> Heiko,
>
> Some of the JPA persistence providers support JMX for administrative
> operations (Hibernate statistics for example).  Do we have any magic way
> to get JMX MBeans into the management console?  Probably will need to be
> dynamic based on deployment time processing.

 From our discussion today on #jboss-as7-dev

[10:44am] smarlow: bstansberry: does your work on AS7-340, help me to
show Hibernate statistics (assuming I get them registered with the
platform mbean server)?  I assume that is the idea but wanted to make sure
[10:44am] jbossbot: jira [AS7-340] Expose platform mxbeans via the
domain model [Coding In Progress (Unresolved) Feature Request, Major,
Brian Stansberry] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-340
[10:45am] bstansberry: smarlow: no, not at all
[10:45am] bstansberry: i'm exposing the mbeans discussed in the
java.lang.management package
[10:46am] bstansberry: a generic facility to expose any arbitrary mbean
is a whole different animal
[10:46am] bstansberry: is that really what you're doing though, or are
you exposing hibernate stuff with a known API?
[10:47am] smarlow: bstansberry:  I'm just talking at this point
[10:47am] bstansberry: IIRC, hibernate has a regular typed API for
everything they expose via JMX
[10:49am] bstansberry: it might be possible to have a generic mapping
layer that could represent any open mbean as a management model resource
[10:50am] barreiro joined the chat room.
[10:50am] smarlow: bstansberry:  I'm not sure of the priority of such
work, was just looking for something low cost that could fit in
[10:50am] bstansberry: but there would need to be some logic that
determines where in the tree things belong and properly wire it in
[10:51am] bstansberry: i don't think it would be very low cost
[10:51am] smarlow: bstansberry:  would be nice if any persistence
provider could have its management operations/properties show up
[10:51am] smarlow: bstansberry:  doesn't sound like it.
[10:55am] bstansberry: smarlow: is there any sort of standard contract
for how persistence providers expose management stuff?
[10:59am] smarlow: bstansberry:  not at all
[11:00am] bstansberry: ok, so there would need to be some sort of
contract that we provide, and a PU provider that wants to show up in our
management model would have to implement that contract and map it to
whatever the use internally
[11:01am] smarlow: bstansberry:  makes sense, probably would need to do
that in our integration classes for the pu provider
[11:01am] bstansberry: perhaps that implementation could be included
with the module that contains the PO provider. use something like a
ServiceLoader to discover it
[11:01am] bstansberry: smarlow: right
[11:02am] bstansberry: and whether that impl exists or not depends on
whether someone cares to provide it
[11:03am] smarlow: bstansberry:  we can add add that to our SPI for PU
provider integration classes
[11:06am] jpederse: smarlow: you already have the JCA SPI to look at for
ideas
[11:07am] smarlow: jpederse: good to have an example, was just trying to
understand what is already free
[11:08am]