[jboss-as7-dev] EJB subsystem refactoring

Jaikiran Pai jpai at redhat.com
Mon Aug 22 02:40:30 EDT 2011

On Monday 22 August 2011 08:42 AM, Stuart Douglas wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> There is some fairly major refactoring I would like to do ti the
> EJB/EE subsystem, I just thought I would run it by everyone to see if
> anyone had any suggestions / objections.
>
> 1) Remove AbstractAnnotationEJBProcessor, and replace it with a system
> that attaches annotation information directly to EEModuleClassDescription
Yes, I would like that one to go too. I had removed a few usages to
that, when we ran into the issues that you mention, but there are some
more DUPs which are still using it.

> This approach has a number of advantages:

> - It should give us a more consistent approach to merging, at the
> moment there is a deployment descriptor processor, and annotation
> processor, and a merging processor, that are mostly copied / pasted
> all over the place. With this change there will only by 1 processor,
> that is responsible for merging the annotation and descriptor data,
> and attaching it to the description/configuration.

Is this specific to just EJB3? Because we need similar construct for
other parts too (whichever component requires annotation, deployment
descriptor and merging).

> 2) Subclass ComponentConfiguration for each component type
>
> At the moment there is no where to store post class loading metadata
> for EJB components. This has been worked around with nasty hacks,
> either by storing post-class loading stuff in the description:

When we started with refactoring EE some time back, I remember David had
mentioned a reason why he didn't want the ComponentConfiguration to be
sub-classed. I no longer remember what that reason was. But yeah, you
are right that at present, we end up pushing such data to the
(sub-classed) component create service and pass it on to the component.
> Does all this sound reasonable?

Overall, I don't have any objection to these changes.

-Jaikiran