[jboss-as7-dev] Management proposal for attribute mutability

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon Aug 22 14:53:43 EDT 2011

On 8/22/11 1:47 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:
> On 8/22/11 1:42 PM, Jason T. Greene wrote:

>>> A handler should not return an error if a change cannot be applied to
>>> the runtime. An OperationStepHandler should use the relevant API on the
>>> OperationContext. E.g. for a handler registered for Stage.RUNTIME:
>>>
>>> @Override
>>> public void execute(OperationContext context, ModelNode operation) {
>>>
>>> context.runtimeUpdateSkipped();
>>> context.reloadRequired(); // or context.restartRequired();
>>> if (context.completeStep() ==
>>> OperationContext.ResultAction.ROLLBACK)
>>> {
>>> context.revertReloadRequired();
>>> // or context.revertRestartRequired();
>>> }
>>> }
>>
>> Well in my above comment I was referring to a problem where a full
>> server reload and/or restart is too aggressive (i.e. why bounce the web
>> server when all you want to do is bounce a datasource). So the issue is
>> that these attributes don't fit that problem.
>
> To further clarify the reason to return the error is that the change to
> the configuration model is NOT APPLIED. If you touch the config without
> the runtime, then you are out of sync and the only reasonable action to
> take from that point on is to restart the server. In this case we are
> saying that changing an attribute could have hostile consequences
> (bouncing a connection pool therby affecting inbound transactions), and
> so we need some sort of confirmation by the admin that they really
> intend to do this.

I see. Seems this eliminates the ability to make a bunch of config
changes without affecting the runtime and then bouncing the server to
have them take effect.

It sounds like you are looking for 3 possible values for this attribute

true -- bounce the affected services
false -- apply to config, put server in restart-required state
undefined??? -- user made a mistake, return an error