[jboss-as7-dev] Optimal MSC threadpool size?

Dimitris Andreadis dandread at redhat.com
Fri Dec 9 12:39:14 EST 2011

I was experimenting a bit with the MSC threadpool size
(org.jboss.server.bootstrap.maxThreads) vs boot time and I've put the results here:

http://community.jboss.org/wiki/ModularServiceContainer-OptimalThreadpoolSize

On my quad-core/dual-threaded machine with 8 reported processors, the default pool size is
16 (processors x 2). In most cases this looks like an overkill to me, i.e. you can get
pretty much the same or better results with a thread pool of 4, or even 2.

Another conclusion seems to be that not too much stuff gets parallelized under the hood?
Even with 1 thread the default config boots pretty much in the same time, while some benefit
kicks in as soon as you have some form of I/O in the full and ha configs. But even then,
with a thread pool of 2 you achieve most of this gain.

Do I miss something? Do you see different results?

Just try a single threaded boot:
standalone.bat -Dorg.jboss.server.bootstrap.maxThreads=1

I am using the latest 7.1.0.CR1-SNAPSHOT

/D