[jboss-as7-dev] Closed/Reopened pull requests - github weirdness

Kabir Khan kabir.khan at jboss.com
Fri Dec 16 13:11:23 EST 2011

Due to the length of the pull queue and the number of requests that sit there for a while with a "negative" review awaiting further action from the committer I have started closing those asking people to reopen them. The intention of this was to have less noise for whoever is reviewing next.

However, we noticed this has some problems, the workflow is something like this:

-PR is submitted on xxxxx:branch_A with CommitA
-PR gets closed
-xxxx updates branch_A with CommitB and CommitC
-PR gets reopened
=>CommitB and CommitC are **NOT** visible in the PR
-xxxx updates branch_A with CommitD
=> CommitB, CommitC and CommitD are visible in the PR

So it seems like the pull request only polls for new commits while it is open. Anything committed when it was closed is invisible, until something else is committed once reopened.

I'm not sure what the best way to solve this is (unless we stop closing stuff), perhaps to never reopen but to create a new request with a link to the old one so the comments are visible?