[jboss-as7-dev] write-attribute handling [WAS] Who is porting what to detyped?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon Jan 17 22:01:35 EST 2011

Kabir,

Related to the porting work, please have a look at

https://github.com/bstansberry/jboss-as/tree/attributes

If it looks good, I'll merge it into detyped2 in the morning.

That's support for a "write-attribute" operation that can work for any
attribute that has a handler registered. The operation takes 2 params:

name -- the name of the attribute
value -- the new value

Resource descriptions will now include a new field for attributes called
"access-type". It will have one of 3 values -- read-only, read-write,
write-only. Those are generated by the registry; they don't need to be
added by the DescriptorProvider.

If it looks good, use of this mechanism should be the standard way to
handle the simple "setFoo" type operations. People would write an
OperationHandler to handle the operation, and call
ModelNodeRegistration.register(ReadWrite|WriteOnly)Attribute("foo",
handler).

I'm sure we can write one or two abstract handlers (with an abstract
method to validate the value) plus probably a few concrete ones for some
basic common use cases (e.g. accept any non-null String value).

OT: I noticed the global operations all have "request-properties" as
part of the operation structure. That level should only be part of the
operation's description, not part of the operation itself.