[jboss-as7-dev] Securing the Console

Darran Lofthouse darran.lofthouse at jboss.com
Fri Jan 21 06:03:41 EST 2011

Yes I would not be surprised if the requirement comes in - the filter
that is available for the JMX console in the AS/EAP 4/5 distributions is
used with occasional requests on how to refine it further.

One point regarding the requirements is that it is 'complex permissions'
that are delegated to JON so there is still the middle ground of 'simple
permissions' not explicitly included or excluded.

At the very least tackling simple permissions could provide the same
kind of functionality as is provided by the filter for the JMX console
and this would ensure the domain management does contain some form of
authorization that can potentially be extended in the future to
introduce more complex permissions.

I know the API discussion has moved on but in terms of a REST API with
everything mapped to a URI with one of four methods
(GET/POST/PUT/DELETE) you could fairly simply define ACLs as a
combination of methods and URIs that are either allowed or prohibited
for a role or set of roles.  Making use of wildcards and using the
allowed and prohibited for the URIs similar to Ant includes and excludes
you could have a lot of flexibility without the ACL mechanism itself
being overly complex.

For the server group administration would we really want to make it as
complex as dynamically identifying which profiles are pulled into which
server groups?

During the meeting it was identified that we need further clarification
regarding how either server group or host specific configuration and
updates would be provided so that links closely with this but to
simplify both the implementation and the description / documentation of
the ACLs wouldn't it make sense to just work on the lines of groups of
users being given access to maintain specific profiles and other groups
of users to be given access to maintain specific server groups.

If there is a requirement to have administrators that look after a
server group and the profiles that feed into the server group suitable
naming conventions could then be defined at the time the domains are
defined to allow a separation in configuration rather than trying to
implement identification of permissions by traversing the hierarchy from
server group and up.

Regards,
Darran Lofthouse.