[jboss-as7-dev] Exposing runtime state

Heiko Braun hbraun at redhat.com
Tue Jan 25 03:52:12 EST 2011

Please see my comments inline.

On Jan 24, 2011, at 11:08 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> On 1/24/11 7:07 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:
>>

>> How can I retrieve runtime state from the domain model?
>> For instance:
>>
>> - the number of server instances running on a host?
>
> {
>     "operation" => "read-children_names",
>     "address" => [("host" => "hostA")],
>     "name" => "server"
> }

Now I am confused. Looking at the schema, I did assume that
'/host/servers/server' is merely a configuration template for a server instance.

Will these be created dynamically when an instance is started?
Do they get a unique 'name' assigned?

> That's the direct way; get's a list of running server names.
>
>> - the number of connections in use (JCA Pool) on a host?
>
> {
>     "operation" => "read-attribute",
>     "address" => [
>         ("host" => "hostA"),
>         ("server" => "server1"),
>         ("subsystem" => "connector"),
>         ("connector" => "foo")
>     ],
>     "name" => "current-connection-count"
> }
>
> I made up the last bit of the address and the attribute name; I'll check
> with Jesper for details if you need them. Note the host=>hostA,
> server=>server1 -- that's what makes this a single server request.

ok, makes sense. I was basically wondering how instances are addressed.
(See question above)

>> - the number of connections in use across servers?
>
> {
>     "operation" => "read-attribute",
>     "address" => [
>         ("profile" => "default"),
>         ("subsystem" => "connector"),
>         ("connector" => "foo")
>     ],
>     "name" => "current-connection-count"
> }
>
> The idea is the DC should send the request to all HCs, who in turn would
> translate it into server level requests for the relevant servers (those
> running profile=>default). The DC would report back results for all
> servers, a la the "Multi-Server Responses" section on
> http://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-16354
>
> The result wouldn't be an aggregate figure; i.e. add up the numbers from
> each server for a total. That kind of thing is possible, but I think
> would be too much work to do in any but the most critical use cases.

Agreed, let's skip aggregation.