[jboss-as7-dev] Recent profile changes

Heiko Braun hbraun at redhat.com
Mon Jul 4 03:50:13 EDT 2011

Makes sense from your point of view, but for tools or users it's difficult to maintain
the proper source address and dealing with circular references.

Let's say profile B includes profile A. Profile A declares subsystem Foo.

Can we support both?

/profile=B/subsystem=Foo:write-attribute

and

/profile=A/subsystem=Foo:write-attribute

The point is that for most management tasks, it doesn't matter that the effective profile
actually consists of an inclusion hierarchy. I believe people care about the subsystem "Web" configuration
for a particular server, regardless of it's origin. So forcing them to deal with the inclusion hierarchy
doesn't make sense to me. I don't see the added value.

Apart from that there are other, related questions that we need address:

- Are subsystem re-declarations allowed within an inclusion hierarchy?
- What's the policy for this: replace or merge?

I think once these questions are answered we'll easily find a solution to the questions above.

Ike