[jboss-as7-dev] Documentation - Naming conventions

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Mon Jul 4 07:26:02 EDT 2011

I've seen various ways of referring to the project which we are documenting. Normally "JBoss Application Server" is used in the introduction to a guide, and then shortened. Some guides use "JBoss Application Server 7". There is also some inconsistency with using "the JBoss Application Server". I think we should pick one of these (my vote is "JBoss Application Server" with no preceding definite article, you would still want to use a definite article when referring to "the application server" - the difference being that we are using a description of the project, not the project name).

The shorted version is then sometimes referred to as "JBoss AS", sometimes as "AS", sometimes as "AS7", sometimes as "AS 7". My pick would be "JBoss AS".

I think it's fairly important we use a single convention so that people get a consistent experience with our docs. What do others think? Misty, what do you use for the enterprise docs - that could be a good convention to adopt (swapping EAP -> AS).