[jboss-as7-dev] Recent profile changes

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Tue Jul 5 12:11:38 EDT 2011

On 7/1/11 5:06 AM, Kabir Khan wrote:

>> WDYT about this 'abstract' notion? Whether or not we require a 'copy'
>> operation to decouple the included subsystem, I don't like having a
>> profile be both inherited and directly applied to servers. It makes it
>> too difficult to determine the user's intent when they modify the profile.
>
> I don't really see the difference between an an abstract profile or any other included profile. So we have "abstract-profile" which can't be used in a server group, instead you would need to create a "concrete-profile" which includes "abstract-profile" and then use "concrete-profile" in the server group. So if "concrete-profile" is empty apart from the include I don't really see the benefit?

Scenario: you have profiles A and B, with B including A. You have server
groups A and B with group A using profile A and group B using profile B.

Now you want to increase some thread pool size on the servers in group
A. But not the servers in group B. This can't be done without creating a
new profile C and shifting the A servers over to it.

An abstract profile only offers a benefit if we allowed a profile that
inherits another profile to override subsystems.

It's not a huge benefit though; probably not worth it. The junior admin
at 3AM could still easily go into profile A intending to only affect the
servers in group A and unknowingly update the group B servers as well.
The odds of his doing that might be slightly reduced, since there would
be no servers running profile A directly so he might be more inclined to
understand the implications of his change.