[jboss-as7-dev] Intended deployemnt behavior?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Mon Jul 11 07:21:29 EDT 2011

> Copying an archive to a directory to deploy it and removing it to
> undeploy it is simple and beautiful.  That mechanism distinguishes JBoss
> among the other point-and-drool app server alternatives.  Personally, I
> think it's worth making that work.

This still works AFAIK

It's only exploded that is tricky (and IMO I much much prefer the marker approach
we have now than the old one; and I was fighting hard against it ;)

> Maintaining your deployment state on the filesystem is awesome, allowing
> clever sysadmins to do some amazing things with rsync, git, and other
> filesystem-based tools.  Expecting users to sacrifice those tools in
> order to use a shiny web interface or fancy CLI is a mistake, imho.  I
> think the marker stuff will piss them off, tbh.
>
> I say let the deployment tools (eclipse, maven, etc) use the CLI/API and
> bring back the old deployments dir.

Eclipse or at least JBoss tools will not use the CLI (too slow)/API(non exploded)  in its current form for deployment since it is not usable for development.

We will though want to use the API for querying status.

/max