[jboss-as7-dev] Intended deployemnt behavior?

Jim Crossley jcrossley at redhat.com
Mon Jul 11 12:30:09 EDT 2011

Max Rydahl Andersen <max.andersen at redhat.com> writes:

[...]

>> 1) no complicated marker file extension state machine required.
>
> I don't see how this solution goes solve that - the underlying problem
> of resources not being fully there is still present.

Well, the idea is that you wouldn't copy the "symlink" until the
resources were fully there, wherever that may be.

And just so we're crystal clear, Bob wasn't proposing a *real* symlink,
so OS compatibilities aren't in play here.  He proposed a "conceptual"
or "poor man's" symlink: a simple text file, containing the path to the
location of the fully-there resources.

>> 2) it opens the door for us to deploy things that don't necessarily
>> match "^.*\\.[SsWwJjEeRr][Aa][Rr]$", e.g. our torquebox .knob files.
>
> Wouldn't this still require deploy/scanner specific code for you?

Maybe, but I hope not.  In AS6, we had a way (structure deployer?) to
describe a valid-but-non-standard deployment artifact.

> btw. not all platforms have symlinks, nor do they work cross devices
> portably so a .war|sar|ear|blah.link with the path inside would be the
> best IMO.

Right, see above.

Jim