[jboss-as7-dev] AS7 XSDs

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed Jul 13 16:34:10 EDT 2011

On 7/13/11 3:06 PM, Wolfgang Knauf wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> see below....
>

> Von: Brian Stansberry<brian.stansberry at redhat.com>
> An: jboss-as7-dev at lists.jboss.org
> Datum: 12.07.2011 22:48
>
>   >  On 7/12/11 3:22 PM, Wolfgang Knauf wrote:
>   >
>   >  all previous JBoss
>   >>  versions had JBoss specific deployment descriptors for the JavaEE
>   >>  modules (jboss.xml, jboss-web.xml, jboss-app.xml, jboss-client.xml).
>   >>
>   >
>   >  Not including those in the dist was an oversight, aka a bug. I noticed
>   >  that a couple hours ago:
>   >
>   >  https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1263
>   >
>   >>  Brian updated the DTD/XSD wiki at
>   >>  http://community.jboss.org/wiki/JBossDTDs and I see that e.g.
>   >>  "jboss_7_0.xsd" still exists.
>   >>
>   >>  But when taking a look at e.g. "standalone.xml", it seems that the "new"
>   >>  xsds are used for module specific parts of this big config file. So, is
>   >>  there some equivalent to e.g. "jboss.xml" for ejb modules in AS7. or
>   >>  will a "jboss.xml" in the ejb jar have the same effect as adding it's
>   >>  content to an appropriate location in "standalone.xml"?
>   >>
>   >
>   >  No, deployment-specific configuration a la jboss.xml, web.xml,
>   >  jboss-web.xml does not go in standalone.xml or domain.xml. The
>   >  descriptor files should be packaged in the deployment archive as was
>   >  done with previous JBoss AS releases.
>   >

> So, to sum it up:
> https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/blob/7.0.0.Final/build/src/main/resources/docs/schema/jboss-web.xsd
> is for configuring the web subsystem in "standalone.xml", *not* for the
> JBoss specific options in a web module?

Correct.

> And there will also be xsd files for the module specific options, e.g.
> the equivalent to http://www.jboss.org/j2ee/schema/jboss-web_6_0.xsd ?

Yes, https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1263 is to get those included
in the dist.

> If my understanding is correct, the naming of the server config xsd
> files is confusing, because a "jboss-7_0.xsd" will be something
> different than "jboss_6_0.xsd".

Yep. Kind of a big DOH!! moment. Looking at the jboss-metadata project
where these deployment descriptor dtds/xsds come from, I see no
jboss_6_0.xsd, just jboss_6_0.dtd. And no 7_0 xsd or dtd. But still,
it's a naming conflict that's bound to bite us unless fixed.

I recommend these server config xds all be renamed to
jboss-as-XXX_1_0.xsd. They all have an xmlns of
urn:jboss:domain:XXX:1.0, not 7.0, which IMO is fine since they may get
revved independently of community AS releases.