[jboss-as7-dev] validate-address warning

Alexey Loubyansky alexey.loubyansky at redhat.com
Mon Jul 18 11:45:07 EDT 2011

> On 7/18/11 6:40 AM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
>> I just noticed that if validate-address has a negative result there is a
>> WARN in the server's log. Do we really need that?
>
> No.
>
>> I just realized that CLI may cause quite a lot of those.
>>
>> [Host Controller] 13:34:50,256 WARN  [org.jboss.as.controller]
>> (pool-3-thread-6) Operation ("validate-address") failed - address:
>> ([("subsystem" =>   "messaging")])
>>

> I wonder why it's happening? That message gets logged if the step
> handler throws OperationFailedException, and this handler doesn't.
>
> The intent is a handler throws an OFE if there is an error in the user
> request, and we WARN log it instead of ERROR because it's not an error
> condition on the server. This handler shouldn't throw an OFE though
> because it's not an error condition. But it doesn't!
>
> Oh, I bet I know why; the theory of the handler is somewhat off. If you
> invoke /interface=bogusname:validate-address, it will work, because the
> handler is (indirectly) registered under /interface=*. But if you do
> /bogustype=public:validate-address, it doesn't work as expected as
> nothing is registered under /bogustype=*. So you are seeing the standard
> "unknown address" handling.

Ok, it's a bit confusing. Normally you shouldn't see those WARN caused
by the CLI (i.e. it does almost everything right :). But if you want to
reproduce the issue, start a standalone server, connect the cli, stop
the server and start the domain w/o re-connecting the cli, i.e. it'll
still show [standalone at ...] prompt. Then press tab to complete commands.

It'll check if the messaging subsystem is there (/subsystem=messaging)
to include or exclude the jms commands. And it does it on every empty
line tab-completion (the results could be cached though).

Alexey