[jboss-as7-dev] JNDI Bindings

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Wed Jul 20 10:35:44 EDT 2011

On 07/20/2011 07:31 AM, Heiko Braun wrote:

> Can somebody enlighten me?
>
> What JNDI namespaces are allowed for explicit JNDI bindings  (i.e datasources, resource adapters)
>
> Looking at the docs it seems that you could either chose 'java:global/<xyz>' or 'java:jboss/<xyz>'.
> Whereas the 'java:module' and java:app' namespaces seem to be reserved implicit bindings.
> Is that correct?

Not exactly.  The reason that "java:module/" and "java:app/" are not
available at the global configuration level is that every deployment has
their own distinct instance of these namespaces (more or less; all
modules within an EAR share the "app" namespace), just as every
component has its own "java:comp/" namespace (more or less; there's some
goofy extra rules about servlets that exist for historical purposes).

For now we only allow binding to global namespaces from global
configuration.  It is conceivable that we could allow binding to
per-app/module/comp namespaces too, someday, _if_ someone had a good
enough reason for it (I can't think of one myself).

--
- DML