[jboss-as7-dev] Issue with access to java:comp/UserTransaction from non EE threads

Lincoln Baxter, III lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 17:13:09 EDT 2011

Hi Guys,

I've written a little app (using Seam 3, RichFaces, a bunch of our projects,
but namely Seam Persistence.) While working with Scott Marlow, we discovered
that the reason for this failure: http://pastebin.com/KC7v90YK, is because
the thread attempting to access the UserTransaction is outside of the EE
threads: http://pastie.org/2010007

This works well on JBoss AS6, but does not on AS7. Wondering if we should
loosen up the access to the UserTransaction to anonymous/non-EE threads.

In addition, when deploying the application on the latest snapshots, I have
been getting weird Weld failures. Seems like Weld is not in a usable state
by the time my @Stateful EJB is requesting for an @Inject BeanManager.

15:44:08,075 ERROR [org.jboss.msc.service.fail] (MSC service thread 1-1)
> MSC00001: Failed to start service
> jboss.deployment.unit."hatchling.war".component.EjbSynchronizations.WeldInstantiator:
> org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service
> jboss.deployment.unit."hatchling.war".component.EjbSynchronizations.WeldInstantiator:
> Failed to start service
> at
> org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.run(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1696)
> [jboss-msc-1.0.0.Beta8.jar:1.0.0.Beta8]
> at
> [:1.6.0_24]
> at
> [:1.6.0_24]
> at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680) [:1.6.0_24]
> at java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.get(ConcurrentHashMap.java:768)
> [:1.6.0_24]
> at
> org.jboss.weld.manager.BeanManagerImpl.getBean(BeanManagerImpl.java:1209)
> at
> org.jboss.as.weld.injection.WeldManagedReferenceFactory.start(WeldManagedReferenceFactory.java:119)
> at
> org.jboss.msc.service.ServiceControllerImpl$StartTask.run(ServiceControllerImpl.java:1675)
> [jboss-msc-1.0.0.Beta8.jar:1.0.0.Beta8]
> ... 3 more

Thoughts welcomed.

Thanks,