[jboss-as7-dev] Issue with access to java:comp/UserTransaction from non EE threads

Jaikiran Pai jpai at redhat.com
Thu Jun 2 22:57:18 EDT 2011

On Friday 03 June 2011 02:43 AM, Lincoln Baxter, III wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I've written a little app (using Seam 3, RichFaces, a bunch of our
> projects, but namely Seam Persistence.) While working with Scott
> Marlow, we discovered that the reason for this failure:
> http://pastebin.com/KC7v90YK, is because the thread attempting to
> access the UserTransaction is outside of the EE threads:
> http://pastie.org/2010007
>
> This works well on JBoss AS6, but does not on AS7.
I don't know how it worked for you in AS6, because it's not supposed to
work, for reasons that David explained in his mail :) Are you sure you
were using java:comp/UserTransaction in AS6 and not just
"UserTransaction"? AS6 also binds "UserTransaction" to the global jndi
namespace outside of java:comp and that was accessible to every piece of
code, even non-components.

-Jaikiran