[jboss-as7-dev] Unification of resource hirarchies

Heiko Braun hbraun at redhat.com
Thu Jun 9 08:47:47 EDT 2011

I am currently building the context help for web console.
It does leverage the resource descriptions that are available through the detyped API.

While doing so, I stumbled across a problem that has been mentioned several times already:
Proper parent child relations when exposing subsystem configuration.

Most of the default configuration elements (server-groups, server-config, etc) make proper use
of addressable child resources. But I can still find several cases where this isn't done properly.
(i.e. subsystem=messaging, attribute security-setting / addressing-setting).

Cases like this make it hard and sometimes impossible to work with the API.
The context help is good example: For 80% of the cases it works fine to generate the
documentation on the fly. But in some cases, it's not possible at all.

I would consider both the means to retrieve  configuration data and the data structure itself
as being part of the public API . Therefore I would suggest we clean it up before 7.0.CR1.

Would it be possible nail down subsystem configurations to attributes for simple types
and child relations for complex types? This would greatly help any API client to consume that data.

Or am i missing something here?

Ike