[jboss-as7-dev] Keep having conflicts on files I never change

Scott Stark sstark at redhat.com
Tue Jun 14 16:40:14 EDT 2011

I keep running into conflicts when doing '|git pull --rebase upstream
master' on files I have never modified, for example, the root pom.xml. I
must be doing something wrong in my workflow to introduce this. I'm
guessing it is because of doing push -f from my local to remote repo. I
have just reset my local repo to a state prior to the last conflicts I'm
seeing, fetchd and rebased to upstream/master, and now must use -f to
get my remote repo in sync. Is that the correct thing to do, and if it
is, should I be seeing conflicts when pulling from upstream in the future?

Hopefully I'm missing a step (like the fetch and rebase I'm showing here
as I'm not sure I always do that) that is introducing the conflicts.

[183](ironmaiden:jboss-as) > git status
# On branch master
# Your branch is behind 'origin/master' by 7 commits, and can be
fast-forwarded.
#
nothing to commit (working directory clean)
[184](ironmaiden:jboss-as) > git fetch upstream
remote: Counting objects: 631, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (489/489), 153.46 KiB | 64 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (161/161), completed with 64 local objects.
 From git://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as
    7f6625f..baf9acc  master     -> upstream/master
[185](ironmaiden:jboss-as) > git rebase -i upstream/master
Successfully rebased and updated refs/heads/master.
[186](ironmaiden:jboss-as) > git push
Password:
To https://starksm64@github.com/starksm64/jboss-as.git
  ! [rejected]        master -> master (non-fast-forward)
error: failed to push some refs to
'https://starksm64@github.com/starksm64/jboss-as.git'
To prevent you from losing history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected
Merge the remote changes (e.g. 'git pull') before pushing again.  See the
'Note about fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' for details.|