[jboss-as7-dev] Time to get on the same "page" with docs

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Wed Jun 15 11:28:56 EDT 2011

We have a fairly small window available to us to get our AS 7
documentation together.  So far, we have a bunch of miscellaneous
Confluence pages in various state of repair and a docbook repository for
a developer quick start which is reasonably underway, as well as
possibly other docbook repositories which have been begun by various
parties.

Before we invest too much in these disparate architectures, it's time to
hit the brakes and make sure we're all going in the same direction here.

It has been decided that our community documentation for AS 7 will be
hosted in Confluence.  The process for generating the final
documentation files will be driven from here.

This means that we need a real page structure here.  The top-level
documents ("books") we should define are currently:

* Developer Quick Start Guide (Pete's guide)
* Administration Guide
* Developer Reference Guide

The Developer Quick Start Guide is, in addition to Pete's stuff,
probably where the "How do I ...?" question sections should go.  Jim,
this will be up to you to complete, otherwise we'll probably drop these
pages (most of them do not contain much if any content currently).  This
guide is the top priority; if we have no other document ready by the
final 7.0 release, we should at least have this one.  This means that
the docbook structure(s) we currently have should be imported and
cleaned up ASAP.

The Administration Guide is where we'd put descriptions of the
configuration file, operation descriptions, and how to perform
operations from the CLI and web console.  Much of this guide can
probably be generated programmatically out of our operation
descriptions, at least for the initial version.

The Developer Reference Guide will cover details of every deployment
descriptor, annotation, and API we make available to deployments.  It
should also cover embedding, eventually, and would be the place where we
put more esoteric stuff.

Once these three docs are complete, it would be really nice to
ultimately have a "JavaEE howto" guide to get people started with JavaEE
development, from an EE6 perspective (EJB3, CDI, etc.), but this is
clearly a much lower priority.

Questions?
--
- DML