[jboss-as7-dev] can we align the name of the sample datasource?

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 15:20:18 EDT 2011

Can we include a sample datasource named jdbc/sample so that it's possible
to deploy the same example application to JBoss AS and GlassFish without any
other configuration? This is a constant headache for creating quickstart
applications and we have the opportunity to close the gap.

Here's the gap we've been juggling:

JBoss AS < 7: java:/DefaultDS
GlassFish 3: jdbc/__default and jdbc/sample

I believe that in general, the EE spec should strongly recommend (though I
doubt it can require) that the application server provide an sample database
for the purpose of tutorials. We have the opportunity to take a step towards
to realize this goal and standardize on jdbc/sample.

I know this seems trivial, but trust me, it makes a huge difference to help
bring new users on board. They are forced to deal with datasources before
they can learn anything else.

-Dan

--
Dan Allen