[jboss-as7-dev] Consolidated list of non-Java EE JPA and native Hibernate issues

Marius Bogoevici marius.bogoevici at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 10:35:36 EDT 2011

Jason T. Greene wrote:
> On 6/16/11 9:20 AM, Marius Bogoevici wrote:
>> Jason T. Greene wrote:
>>> BTW let's look at the actual use cases here, and the solutions:
>>>
>>> 1. Native/Direct use of hibernate (no JPA)
>>> - User either bundles their version or imports one on the server
>>> (perhaps creating a module if they like)
>>>
>>> 2. Using a JPA provider other than our Hib 4 one
>>> - 7.1 = javax.persistence.spi.PersistenceProvider
>>>
>>> 3. Using JPA annotations in non JPA/EE applications (Spring)
>>> - Stuart's patch (skip EE annotations on things we don't identify as
>>> an EE component)
>>>
>>> Feel free to add one.'"
>>
>> 4. I have a META-INF/persistence.xml and I want to hide that from the
>> server (I'll bootstrap the PU through
>> LocalContainerEntityManagerFactoryBean).
>
> This isn't a use case, this is an implementation approach. It sounds
> like the use case is "Non server integrated local JPA"
>
> Do you know of any existing cases where we would want this over (2.)?
I disagree on this being an implementation approach, IMO it is a
separate use case. I don't really want to use a different
PersistenceProvider or provide my own (I am perfectly happy with what
JBoss AS7 provides), I just want the application server not to act upon
my PU definition.

Existing case: Spring applications migrated straight from Tomcat, using
RESOURCE_LOCAL transaction management (or even JTA would be possible in
the case of JBOSS). They bootstrap the PU on their own through the
LocalContainerEntityManagerFactoryBean.