[jboss-as7-dev] Deployment terms in CLI

ssilvert at redhat.com ssilvert at redhat.com
Wed Jun 22 09:19:32 EDT 2011

Quoting Alexey Loubyansky <alexey.loubyansky at redhat.com>:

> Just re-naming the current deploy command to upload doesn't sound nice
> to me.
> Because the command actually deploys the package (unless you add
> --disabled). So, it's as clear as it can be.

It actually doesn't deploy the package.  It only sets up one or more
conditions that MIGHT cause the package to deploy.  Even if you upload
the deployment and add it to all server groups and enable all in one
command, you might not get a deployed deployment.  You still need at
least one running host on one of the server groups.  So even in the
extreme case, a successful "deploy" command might not deploy anything.

I would suggest renaming it to "upload" or "add-content".  For bonus
points, the command could try to see if the deployment actually
started and report that condition back to the user.

> Renaming just to match an operation name doesn't justify it for me in
> this case. It may also do a full-replace if --force is specified, btw.

Agreed.  We have to be careful with naming meta-commands.

> So, if we were to re-name the command we would have to review the
> arguments too.
> Would 'upload' enable by default? Or it would only if --enable is
> specified (with server groups in the domain mode)?

I think it should not enable by default.  Enable-by-default is
convenient for development, but in production you want to be careful
about when something goes live.

> Should enable be a separate command? Which would accept server groups,
> etc? This would mean two commands instead of one to actually deploy an app.

I'd say have both.  Enable/Disable commands would be convenient.  I'm
thinking especially when you want to upload, set up some other things
like datasources, then enable.

> What would "undeploy" be renamed to? "remove" seems to be too general.
> unload? remove-deployment?

remove-deployment sounds good.