[jboss-as7-dev] Thoughts on minor re-org of source tree

Scott Marlow smarlow at redhat.com
Thu Mar 17 22:53:29 EDT 2011

On 03/17/2011 06:51 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
> I'd like to propose that the source tree be reorganized as follows:
>
> 1. Create a new module called "subsystems" with its own parent POM.
> 2. Move all subsystems and their support modules into this directory.
>
> This will make modules easier to find and also will let us apply policy
> to subsystems, which may come in handy, and also lets us rebuild just
> subsystems, which may also come in handy.

I would like to break the reasons into separate items:

1.  Make modules easier to find.

2.  Applying policy to subsytems.

3.  Rebuilding just subsystems.

For (1), I think the current source tree organization is easy enough (so
don't burn the time to change it now).  Are people complaining that they
cannot find modules?

What kind of policies (2) do we need to handle at the per subsystem
level?  I assume you have some specific policies in mind as we have
typically only built infrastructure that we need.  It must be for some
top secret project that you cannot mention here.  I'm just not buying
the futuristic (we might need it in the future) view here.  I have to
ask who you really are and what you did with David?  ;-)

I think that having separate projects (3) allowed us to build only the
specific project but they increase the number of moving parts in the
system.

My short alternative list to improve things :-):

4. Write system documentation.

5. Consider a way to make the AS7 commit process more scalable (e.g.
more lieutenants committing changes).