[jboss-as7-dev] Bug or Feature: JVM not set on server-config

Heiko Braun hbraun at redhat.com
Wed Mar 23 10:15:38 EDT 2011

Feature request? Not yet.
But food for thought.

It is very difficult to work with the current model, because you cannot easily distinguish
the structural information (server-config has a property called 'jvm') from the actual state (the jvm value is 'default')
Furthermore there is no way to identify inherited properties, or to put it another way: the inherited state.

Just take the :read-resource outcome as an example.
I would think 'oh, the JVM property is not set'. But actually it is, just at some other place in tree.
This makes it very hard to work with the current model.

Maybe it would help to introduce a 'reference' value type?
I.e.

{
	"jvm" => {ref:<address>}
}

This could actually turn into:

{
	"jvm" => {ref:[
		"server-group":"default"
	]}
}

So you would know that it is an inherited property that's derived from a resource at <address>

My 2 cents.