[jboss-as7-dev] Feature requests from bof

Scott Stark sstark at redhat.com
Mon May 9 16:35:06 EDT 2011

A couple of feature requests from the as7 bof likely require a notion of
the domain topology to be accessible via the management api. Two
requests that stick out are:

1. The knowledge of the "cluster" members in a non-autodiscovery
environment (such as most cloud providers). The request was a little
more specific in that there was a desire to have a cluster aware service
such as infinispan to magically have its membership configuration
handled by the domain when one would typically have to setup a gossip
server, S3_PING or some other non-UDP discovery service. As we discussed
in the bof, there really is no "cluster" notion, but we should expect
that a one or more server-groups would be setup to represent the
services one wants to be clustered, and so, requesting the members of a
server-group from the domain api could be used to build a discovery service.

2. Having stable jndi names across the domain. In a potentially
multi-tier domain, or even a domain that includes singleton or at least
hetergenous service setup, you would like to be able to refer to service
factories via logical jndi names that map to the domain topology. We
could accomplish this by having a jndi ContextFactory binding under
something like "domain:" that would allow for lookups like:
     a. "domain:/clusterServerGroup/RemoteConnectionFactory", lookup of
a connection factory that is bound across all nodes in the "cluster"
server-group.
     b. "domain:/batchServer/batchGatewayEjb", lookup of the
batchGatewayEjb remote interface on the batchServer server instance.

Another natural api for accessing the domain model would be a jndi
DirContext implementation that would provide effectively the same
information as the cli using the same namespace.

I can create proper feature requests for these once they are vetted as
useful. I assume this will have to be a 7.1 feature.