[jboss-as7-dev] Unresolved issues with lock down by default

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Fri Nov 11 10:24:56 EST 2011

> On Nov 11, 2011, at 15:40, Jason T. Greene wrote:
>
>> On 11/11/11 4:48 AM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>>> …but now i'm truly happy we got Filesystem deployment "api" so I
>>> can actually work without users setting these things up - or will
>>> that also be disabled by default ?
>>
>> You keep saying this, but doesn't this feel a little bit ironic to
>> you? I mean you were constantly demanding a management API, and now
>> that we have one you can't stop looking for ways not to use it.
>
> I never demanded a management api that couldn't be used for
> incremental deployments - I also never wanted one for deployments if
> it required full access to a running server.
>
> I did demand a File API so I knew I could actually interact with a
> local server no matter if it is running or not and from *any* tool
> that already exist with or without management api available.

I believe the words you used were "REST API". Normally I wouldn't say
anything, but I'm a little tired of this repeated "dig".

> The thing we like management API for is to check server is running,
> graceful shutdown and to query for status of things.
>
> Doing simple things like deploying app, datasource and queues should
> be doable without a lot of overhead.
>
> It's great the management API can do it but with it now being default
> secured even for 127.0.0.1/localhost its not the first thing I would
> use.
>
> Note, we will make this easy to use, but for the cases of server not
> running during deployment (local setup, preparation of a server, you
> don't want to have it running etc.) or the management API not being
> available (OpenShift and others and just plain remote server which
> only exposes SSH/SCP) there the File API is tremendously useful.
>
> And its much more universal.

Yes we all know your opinion. Honestly I don't care whether you use it
or not, but it's never going to do more than drop deployments in
standalone mode.
--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect