[jboss-as7-dev] Default values for Expressions

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Oct 13 11:07:06 EDT 2011

On 10/11/11 12:48 PM, Heiko Braun wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2011, at 5:26 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>
>>> There should always be the "fallback" like
>>> ${jboss.bind.address:127.0.0.1}
>>> in what we deliver.
>>>

>> OK, +1 to that.
>

> I did actually speak of the parser. IMO it would be better to enforce
> the default value.

If we're talking about a end-user provided expression, that is somewhat
a "sweep the problem under the rug" approach.

It's the admin's job to provide a proper value. By requiring a default
we remove from the customer the ability to force the admin to do their
job. We make someone stick in a default that may not be appropriate.

For sure we need to be more aggressive about immediately failing if we
can't resolve an expression though; i.e. never leaving it as an
unresolved string usable by calling ModelNode.asString().