[jboss-as7-dev] Configuration conundrum with Express

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Mon Oct 17 11:58:54 EDT 2011

>>> I don't want Express to be different, I want both AS7 locally, on
>>> remote hosts and on express to be easy to configure/setup without
>>> relying on a running server or that your tool has access to do
>>> the right management calls at the right times.
>>>
>>> i.e. before we could copy a .war and a -ds.xml and it would
>>> work/deploy from any tech.
>>>
>>> Now we need to have forge, cli, jboss tools, netbeans, eclipse,
>>> intellij, my eclipse etc. be aware of AS7 management model and
>>> not only be able to tell the server to set something up, but also
>>> be able to handle the possible error conditions (i.e. datasource
>>> is already there, operation not permitted etc.) to do an outofbox
>>> deployment without too much fuzz.
>>
>> We are going to add support for -ds.xml and )probably jms
>> destination deployments if we can find the time), but don't expect
>> everything that is manageable to become a deployment. That will
>> just never happen.
>
> And i've never asked for it to be manageable so i'm fine with that -
> looking forward to it ;)
>
> For the general case Scott suggested us is that we support executing
> a list of .cli operations during deploy - but that would then be very
> specific for JBoss tools which is why I was having high hopes for the
> support for .cli archives that I believe Jesper was working on since
> that would handle the deploy/undeploy cases in a way that is sharable
> between the various tools - but not sure where that went.

Their are major problems with a CLI deployment:

1. Guaranteeing undeploy actually undoes what it did, which may or may
not be possible
2. VM crash forcing a relaunch, forcing re-running non-idempotent operations
3. Lack of visibility into what global state each CLI deployment touches

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect