[jboss-as7-dev] Configuration conundrum with Express

Scott Stark sstark at redhat.com
Mon Oct 17 18:54:39 EDT 2011

> On 10/17/11 4:04 PM, Scott Stark wrote:
>> So the plan, and what I'll be working on this week is to have a batch
>> CLI script that exists in the openshift express application repository,
>> when pushed to the express server, is run against the jbossas server CLI
>> interface.
>>
>> One issue that is coming up is the need to refer to environment
>> variables for things like the interfaces/ports for socket services.
>> These values are a property of the execution environment the server is
>> being administered in,
> I interpreted "execution environment the server is being administered
> in" as meaning where the admin tool runs. If that's correct, why are
> these a property of where the admin tool runs rather than the server
> environment?

They happen to be collocated in this case since the script is connected
to the git repository of the application. It is the execution
environment of the jbossas7 server that determines the environment
values. The problem can be framed as there being a domain specific set
of environment/properties that one wants to be externalized to avoid
having to change the jbossas7 server configuration as it is run in a
different provider environment.