[jboss-as7-dev] File system deployment - Handling .failed markers on server restart

Jaikiran Pai jpai at redhat.com
Tue Oct 25 04:15:41 EDT 2011

A user brought up an issue (or rather a non-intuitive behaviour) with
the way we process failed file system deployments. Consider the
following case:

1) User has a foo.war in standalone/deployments folder and that foo.war
is dependent on some setting in the standalone.xml
2) The standalone.xml has an inconsistency which results in the
application deployment to fail when the application is deployed
3) Our file system deployment process creates a foo.war.failed marker to
indicate that failure and to suppress any subsequent re-deployments
until the issue is fixed. The file system deployment scanner picks up
the foo.war for re-deployment if that foo.war.failed marker is removed
or the timestamp of the foo.war changes to a more latest timestamp than
that of the .failed marker.
4) In this user's case, since the cause of failure was a configuration
issue in the standalone.xml, the user stops the server and fixes the
standalone.xml
5) He then restarts the server, but our file system deployment scanner
does *not* pick up foo.war for deployment (nor logs a message) since
neither the .failed marker was removed nor the deployment foo.war had a
new updated timestamp.
6) The user then has to go figure out why the deployment was never
picked up.

I personally don't think we should do any additional (smart?) logic in
the file system deployment scanner to handle this scenario. I would
expect the user to either remove that .failed marker or update the
deployment timestamp once he has fixed the (external) issue. *But* I do
think that we should probably log a (one-time) INFO message during
startup to indicate that the presence of the .failed marker has caused
the scanner to skip the deployment.

Thoughts?

-Jaikiran