[jboss-as7-dev] cli: default tab completion list

Carlo de Wolf cdewolf at redhat.com
Wed Oct 26 04:00:49 EDT 2011

W.r.t. bash I don't see how ./ plays a role.

In essence bash can auto-complete almost anything (given configuration
in bash_completion.d):

$ git cl
clean   clone
$ ls
ls        lscgroup  lskat     lspci     lss3      lsusb.py
lsattr    lscpu     lsmod     lspcmcia  lssubsys
lsblk     lsinitrd  lsof      lspgpot   lsusb
$ l
Display all 126 possibilities? (y or n)

Maybe adopt that last bit as well?

Or even go further and allow some sort of plugins. I would very much
like auto-completion to work when I set the default rar name or default
thread pool name for EJB.

Carlo

> if the number of low level operations will be forever small then this sounds like a reasonable request -
> if not then exposing commonly used low-level operations as high-level commands or aliases sounds like
> another way to solve this and keep it all consistent.
>
> /max
>
> On Oct 25, 2011, at 19:04, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>
>> Note the suggestion is to prefix them with : so the text is what the
>> user would have to actually type. So they would be naturally segregated
>> in the list.
>>
>> There are a number of low-level commands that are going to be routinely
>> used, :read-attribute, :read-resource etc. So people are going to be
>> conscious of low-level commands and IMO hiding them doesn't make much
>> sense.  Unless there is a high level command that does the same thing as
>> all the regularly used low level ones.
>>
>> On 10/25/11 12:23 PM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
>>> WRT https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-2243
>>> Tab completion for operations should show low-level operations
>>>
>>> Brian suggests to include operations in the list of commands shown by
>>> the tab completion when the line is empty.
>>>
>>> The original idea was to make an accent on the commands with the hope
>>> that operations will be used only in special/advanced cases. Which is
>>> still the direction to follow.
>>> So, by default the cli is in the command completion mode.
>>> Operation request completion is triggered by '/', './' or ':'.
>>>
>>> This is actually consistent with the bash shell too, where by default
>>> you get a list of commands, scripts are not included, you'd have to
>>> start with './'. Although, './' is listed there before all the commands
>>> as an option, which is not the case in the cli.
>>>
>>> IMO, the current impl is cleaner.
>>>
>>> Votes, suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alexey