[jboss-as7-dev] depending on jackson-mapper-asl

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Tue Sep 6 10:44:14 EDT 2011

Hi all,
we're working on Hibernate Search 4, which sports besides many other
changes a revamped serialization framework which uses Apache Avro;
this is an important component towards a better integration with
Infinispan and unlocking all potential of Hibernate OGM.

Avro depends on:
 org.codehaus.jackson:jackson-core-asl    (using 1.7.3)
 org.codehaus.jackson:jackson-mapper-asl    (using 1.7.3)
 com.thoughtworks.paranamer:paranamer    (using 2.3)
 org.xerial.snappy:snappy-java    (using 1.0.1-rc3)

While Hibernate Search is not part of the Application Server
distribution, we noticed that the AS depends on jackson-mapper-asl too
and some early adopters reported version conflicts.

Even forcing Search to use the same version as AS 7.0.1 (1.6.3) all
our tests are fine, but we would rather not bind our project to depend
to AS7's specific versions, if you can suggest better alternatives.

Please consider I'm not familiar with the AS7 classloader isolation
details, but since we're not living under a stone our expectation was
that application code should be isolated from this; is this something
that should be enabled, or is Jackson "special" ?

Possibly the users reporting these issues are doing something wrong? I
have no forum links as this started from IRC but I can ask for more
details if you could suggest what to look for.

Regards,
Sanne

https://hibernate.onjira.com/browse/HSEARCH-887