[jboss-as7-dev] Changed arguments…can we do better ? :P

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Wed Feb 1 12:51:25 EST 2012

> Anyway, I don't really need to convince you of this. Our support team have already convinced *me* that this is a vital config option. If you want to remove this on the grounds that it is just like all these other cases I suggest you talk them first. Otherwise when the support problems start piling up you are definitely not going to be Mr Popular.

Andrew - i'm not saying byte man should not be supported out of box - i'm saying there are other mechanisms that will fail too thus wishing to add them.
i.e. jvisualvm also seems to have problems if not explicitly listed and that is part of a default hotspot jvm.

>> Yes, I just suggest we make this list include more than just byteman and
>> take it *off* the commandline into a setting.
>
> It is a setting already. The fact that it is set using a shell script doesn't really change that. If you want to argue for an alternative control well, I'll leave that to our usability experts.

i'm trying to reduce the need for having "special controls"

>>> Also, I think the idea of adding this via a properties file sounds nice
>>> at first but actually it is just splitting up the config by another
>>> name. One file to rule them all . . .
>>
>> The problem is there are not one file to rule them all.
>>
>> There is one per OS  and tools that need to launch cannot use the .bat/.sh files
>> since no way to portably and reliably kill the process.
>
> There is one file to rule them all as far as the normal startup mechanism is concerned. At least that's precisely how Jason described it some months back -- unless, perhaps, he has changed his mind?

I don't see such one file.

I see standalone.conf.bat and standalone.conf and they are not honored unless you use bash/bat to launch with.

> That may not be of any help to you if you are starting the AS by other means but surely you can provide equivalent configuration options and an API to configure them. In which case just be sure to include this in your default config. It may not be so important to your usrs but I suspect that is not the case.

of course I can provide equal options but the day more options gets added this needs to updated too.

Which is why I ask to actually get one file and file format (which doesn't assume existence of bash or windows command bat engine) that rule's most of them.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen