[jboss-as7-dev] Console does not support install/start semantic for bundles

Thomas Diesler thomas.diesler at jboss.com
Thu Feb 9 09:24:40 EST 2012

Folks,

now that we deploy through the GWT console it's a real usability issue
that we don't have a way to determine whether an OSGi bundle should be
automatically started when deployed through the management API.

Here the related issues

[AS7-3693 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-3693>] Console does not
support install/start semantic for bundles
[AS7-3694 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-3694>] Allow management
client to associate metadata with DeploymentUnit
[AS7-2777 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-2777>] Add notion of
start/stop for deployments
[AS7-378 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-378>]  Support notion of
deployment set

I could have a go at this set of problems because it directly relates to
OSGi bundle deployment. Please note, that JSR-88 also has the notion of
start/stop for JavaEE deployments. You can for example stop a webapp to
temporarily make the http endpoint unavailable. Currently this is
faked/hacked in the jsr88 impl.

I would post proposals for the individual subproblems.

#1 client metadata associated with the DU
#2 start/stop semantic for arbitrary deployments
#3 notion of deployment set and DUPs that can operate on the set rather
than individual DU only

cheers
-thomas

--