[jboss-as7-dev] Detecting deployment location errors for xml files using a JEE schema

Paul Robinson paul.robinson at redhat.com
Fri Feb 24 09:36:27 EST 2012

A common problem I see again and again is when people miss-spell the
filenames of XML artefacts that live in the META-INF and WEB-INF
directories of a JEE archive. I also see people (myself included)
putting these artefacts in the wrong location, For example, putting the
beans.xml file in the META-INF of a .war when it belongs in the WEB-INF.
This can cause a big headache as it looks like you have created the
right artifact, but it is not taking effect. It would be great if we
could detect this type of thing and warn the developer at deploy time.
There seems to be a move towards using marker files (beans.xml,
faces-config.xml) to enable technologies, so this issue could become
more prevalent.

One solution, I was thinking about, is to check the schema type of all
the XML files in the META-INF and WEB-INF directories. For each schema
that we recognize (http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence for example),
we check that it's file name is correct and it is in a location where it
will be processed.

Does this sound like a sensible thing for us to do?

Paul.

--
Paul Robinson
Web service transactions lead
paul.robinson at redhat.com

JBoss, a Division of Red Hat
Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Brendan Lane (Ireland), Matt Parson
(USA), Charlie Peters (USA)