[jboss-as7-dev] multiple instances of AS per VM?

Scott Marlow smarlow at redhat.com
Tue Jan 24 13:14:47 EST 2012

Do we have any use cases where we need to support multiple instances of
the AS per VM?  I heard that this was part of the early design but
doesn't seem to be taken advantage of, as far as I know.

In my changes for AS7-2076 (serialization of extended persistence
context), I used a class variable, which would be shared between the
multiple AS instances (if I don't change it).  I could switch to using a
service and lookup the service through
CurrentServiceContainer.getServiceContainer().getService() but that also
uses a class variable for tracking the current AS.  The advantage of
using CurrentServiceContainer.getServiceContainer(), is better
encapsulation of code that needs to change, if we do run multiple AS
instance per VM at some point.

Scott