[jboss-as7-dev] subsytem interdependency

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Thu Jul 12 13:16:41 EDT 2012

If we are talking optional module dependencies thats fine. Service
dependencies usually can't be optional across subsystems though, as it
will cause a race.

An example of the service problem is transactions and iiop. If JBoss
Transactions is in JTS mode, it requires special interceptors to be
enabled in the orb before it launches. From a service startup
perspective both can't wait on the other. So right now we have an ugly
solution where both subsystems have to be configured to match
(transactions in jts mode, iiop with the transaction flag on).

Awhile back we talked about addressing optional subsystem interdeps by
introducing a generic capabilities api before the runtime stage
executes. I think Kabir had a prototype somewhere. The idea was that
after the model is built, there is a hook where subsystems can add some
kind of indicator for what features they have made available, and other
subsystems would then be able to define their service deps accordingly.

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss AS Lead / EAP Platform Architect