[jboss-as7-dev] Domain Management - Add support for database authentication. Need advice

Flemming Harms flemming.harms at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 15:30:46 EDT 2012

Hi everybody

I'm currently working on "Domain Management - Add support for database
authentication" https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1370 and
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-1371 and struggling with a design
issue. What I need to solve is that you are able to setup a connection pool
for database authentication, and I was told that I could not depend on the
JBOSS subsystem when running in domain mode.

So I basic need some functionality to handle a database connection pool, I
can see 3 options but I don't know what is the best approach and what the
guidelines are

1. Reuse some existing code in the project, I don't if it possible to take
advantage of existing code for maintaining a database connection pool?
2. Use an existing 3 party lib, that will provide this functionality. I
don't what are the common guidelines for adding new 3 party libs to the
project?.
3. Write my own simple connection pool manager.

I was started on no. 3 and don't think it will be a huge task.

What do you think, does it make sense?

br
Flemming