[jboss-as7-dev] manual way to do logging?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Fri Jun 8 03:31:59 EDT 2012

Hi Bill/David,

I unfortunately cannot use JBoss Logging yet because of how Eclipse plugins are built, but
just a few observations on this "fun" topic ;)

Static vs non-static logging:
-------------------------------------

Eclipse plugins already are used to have to create a static string message in an interface to do i18n of logging; they even provide tooling to make this easy to do - that helps *alot*;
jboss logging doesn't have that though.

Unfortunately we actually in Eclipse world also have the non-interface based stuff too that Bill wants and yes its awesome you can just write it quick'n'dirty but maan its a mess to work with
afterwards over time. (In resteasy you probably don't see it because its much smaller than the number of eclipse plugins we have to maintain, but if I could choose now, I would like
to have that stick hit me everytime I was lazy)

Hacker tip: Nothing prevents you from doing a generic highlevel interface field you can use everytime you are feeling lazy - good thing is you or others can easily find the usages of that
and go through and convert these messages. just saying.

Performance:
-------------------

Jason and David aren't full of shit here.

They proved early on in AS7 lifetime that even basic stuff in logging like checking if log is activated was costing as much as 10% overhead - even with logging disabled.  That was before string concatenation gets into play.

And if you don't trust them then I can tell you Eclipse went through the exact same exercise some years back. They had grown organically over time from a few small plugins to thousands. and suddenly they
were faced with several hundred megabytes of overhead and a sluggish performance. Their move to use static interfaces made a big impact in runtime performance AND memory usage.

JBoss Logging actually takes this even further - but i'll leave David and Jasons to explain those :)

Usability:

You do not need an additional maven plugin if you just use the plain standard annotation processor.
You keep saying you need one so i'm curious why you think that.

There is though one place where this annotation processor sucks, and that is that it isn't isolated
enough to be reusable and runnable within an IDE such as Eclipse :)
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/LOGTOOL-51 captures that; this shouldn't affect you though since you
are just using maven and vi.

....and I'm all for that beer too - can we talk about how JBoss Logging could be made to work with Eclipse logging framework ? :)

/max