[jboss-as7-dev] purpose of jboss.node.name and how to set.

Wolf-Dieter Fink wfink at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 07:21:47 EST 2012

I'm a bit confused about the purpose of 'node-name' and how to set it.

I found out that the nodes name is required for UserTransaction and also
a notice:

https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS71/Clustered+EJBs
If it's on the same machine, the two things you have to make sure is
that you pass the port offset for the second instance and also make sure
that each of the server instances have a unique jboss.node.name system
property

==== standalone ====
In this mode the only way to set is to use '-Djboss.host.name='.
I try to use
<server name="MyNode" xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:1.1">
OR
<system-properties>
<property name="jboss.node.name" value="MyNode"/>
</system-properties>

but both won't work (I check with EJBClient.getUserTransaction(
node-name ) ) but get the error "No EJBReceiver available for node name
MyNode".
If I set <server name=> getUserTransaction still need the default-host-name.
But if I check inside my bean with
"System.getProperty("jboss.node.name") the name is set and if not
default to my host name.
The mngmt console show the server name and if I set both the console
show the server-name and the property inside of an application the
system-property.

====  domain ====
I try to check whether the <server name=""> work and use also the
system-properties element inside each server.
But both attempts won't work (with EJBClient.getUtx).
The server name from the configuration is shown always by mgnmt console
and not reflect the system-properties setting, but the property inside
the application is set by the system-properties element.

==================

I'm confused because I expect that I can see the node name (as server
name) in the console and use the <server name=> also for getUserTransaction.

My Questions about:
- what is the purpose of node-name (except user identifier for console),
only a identifier for clustering?
- Should the node-name in mngmt console and the property jboss.node.name
get by an application getProperty the same?
- am I right that it a bug that the node-name in standalone.xml or
host.xml won't work for getUserTransaction and I should raise a JIRA?
- is it possible that other functions are affected by this?

- Wolf